If you read my last post, you noticed I was going to do some research into something - well, here it is! I heard on the radio the other week that the music that you heard/was popular when you were 16 has the best memories attached to them, or something along those lines. So, I decided to test this theory out and see what was popular each month I was 16, and remember the feelings I had around that time! (I used the Billboard site to get all the results, using the Top 10 Lists) (...also, please bear in mind, I was 16, and while I was ok with the music I listen to now, mostly Alternative Rock-ish, some pop, and some other stuff thrown in, it was Pop Music Central!)
JULY (the Birth Month, obviously!)
Ok, sooo...pretty Pop-y. Enrique Iglesias (Be With You), Aaliyah (Try Again), Christina Aguilera (I Turn To You) topped with Number 1, 2, and 3 spots, respectively, the week I turned 16. Then there is Eminem (meh, not for me!), Joe, Vertical Horizon, NSync, Matchbox Twenty, Creed, and Pink. To be honest, I'm about 60% with this listing! I have some Christina, Vertical Horizon, NSync, Matchbox Twenty, Creed, and Pink on my iPod, sooo...yeah...probably the one song I'm still most drawn to is Everything You Want by Vertical Horizon, because I'm like that...moving on! Ooh! Absolutely (Story of a Girl) by Nine Days! I really liked that song!
AUGUST
Destiny's Child starting to climb a little...Jumpin' Jumpin'! Obviously I don't know what it's like "in the clubs" but it's fun to have a song to groove to at this point...Ok, NSync will probably show up for the next year, so let's get it out of the way - I went to their concert, it was ok (BSB were better BY FAR!) so that was a happy time! Ooh, at the last week or so, Kryptonite by 3 Doors Down shows up! Score!
SEPTEMBER
Ahhh, Music by Madonna, YES, I remember that and thinking "Awesome!" ...yeah, don't listen to it anymore, ha ha. Country Grammar by Nelly showed up, not bad...AHHH! Give Me Just One Night (Una Noche) by 98 Degrees!! Awww, those were the days of Boy Bands...
OCTOBER
With Arms Wide Open by Creed begins the domination of the airwaves...Come On Over, Baby (All I Want Is You) by Christina Aguilera showed up here, too, and I still like that song; same with Most Girls by Pink!
NOVEMBER
Independent Woman Part 1 by Destiny's Child is on the charts! Ahhh, how I loved that song, even more so being attached to Charlies Angels! Shape of my Heart, Backstreet Boys! Oh SWOON! Yes, happy moments! OH! BARF BARF BARF, It Wasn't Me, by Shaggy. I HATE THIS SONG! Great, just great...
DECEMBER
How in the heck does It Wasn't Me get above Shape of My Heart? You people make me weep...Ok, Ms. Jackson by OutKast, this is good...Oh, He Loves U Not by Dream! Ha ha ha, TOTALLY forgot about that song...
JANUARY
Once again, Attack of the Pre-Made Pop Bands: O-Town with Liquid Dreams hits the charts, and I don't care! J-Lo shows up a little later with My Love Don't Cost A Thing, meeehhh...and to finish the month off, Madonna breaks into the Top 10 with Don't Tell Me, which I liked a lot more than Music...
FEBRUARY
The ONLY new song I liked from here was Angel by Shaggy...moving on!
MARCH
Butterfly by CrazyTown! Sweet deal! Same with Jaded by Aerosmith...not too shabby! ...and that's all for March!
APRIL
Survivor by Destiny's Child started showing up here, and I just loved that song! ...as did Hanging by a Moment by Lifehouse. I liked that song, but then my sister RUINED it by talking about it and playing it NONSTOP for her Grade 8 Graduation. SIGH! It's a good enough song, just overplayed big time. Ride Wit Me by Nelly was fun, but I've never been big on Rap/Hip-Hop...
MAY
Lady Marmalade, with all them chicks! Ha ha ha, still fun to listen to! Oh, S Club 7, Never Had a Dream Come True - my friends and I would croon that to each other in jest during class...I'm Like a Bird by Nelly Furtado comes up this month, and it's good, but not a fave by any stretch of the imagination...
JUNE
Drops of Jupiter by Train, that friggin' song! I loved it in spite of it being so schmaltzy and everyone else loving it... Let Me Blow Ya Mind by Eve feat Gwen Stefani ends out this month!
Strangely enough, this is literally the time when my life changed forever, the Summer of 2001...so, musically, 16 Years Old wasn't anything to write home about; however, the summer I turned 17 certainly was, and in other ways, too...
...but more on that another time!
- Aurora
No comments:
Post a Comment