Today is one week away from “Rex Manning Day.” Rex Manning Day is the day that the film Empire Records takes place on – well, MOST of the film does. It starts the night before, and presumably ends after midnight on Rex Manning Day. Now, I apologize, but if you’ve never watched the film, this entire post will make no sense/sound pretty silly. So, if you want, head to posts you haven’t read! I have a lot about cupcakes! Who doesn’t love cupcakes?!As a fan of the movie, you’re probably eager to celebrate Rex Manning Day, most likely by watching Empire Records for the billionth time. But, if you’re like me, you like to put a little effort into things that mean a lot to you, so JUST watching the movie feels like you’re, well, kinda phoning it in. Fear not! I have come up with some ideas to make Rex Manning Day as Empire-y as possible. This post is gonna be the “A-side” and I’ll complete the “B-side” next week with the items I did do. Alright? Alright.
1) First and foremost, watch the movie at least once. If you own the DVD, watch all the special features, too.
2) I’m going to make an assumption here – risky, I know. I’m going to assume you have at least one song from the movie in your music collection. Take time to listen to the music featured in the film! Listen to the soundtrack, listen to the songs you had to download because they weren’t on the soundtrack, listen to your comprehensive Empire Records playlist. Bonus points if you get to play “Money (That’s What I Want)” on the PA system at your workplace, use “If You Want Blood (You Got It)” to relieve some stress, or dance with your friends on the roof while “This Is The Day” plays.
3) If your boss isn’t named Joe, ask him (or even her!) if you can call them Joe, just for today.
4) If you can, wear something plaid, a black turtleneck, or a sweet purple satin shirt. Men, how about a pair of Jockeys, navy blue? Letting someone guess the brand and colour is up to you. Ladies, rock a red bra. If you feel so inclined, take it off halfway through the day and leave it on your lunch table. (SIDENOTE – Uhhh, don’t blame me if you get caught for indecent exposure or something. Corey took it off UNDER her shirt, remember?) If you have access to a button-maker, or you have some sweet buttons, make/wear them!5) Eat pizza, brownies, cupcakes, and M & M’s. Drink beer in a red solo cup. Drink coffee with enough sugar to cause a diabetic coma.
6) Before you eat your M & M’s, make at least one decision by assigning different outcomes to different colours. Whatever color you pull out of the M & M bag first is what you do!
7) Tell someone you love them by 1:37 PM exactly. Even better if it’s your secret crush!
8) Try and spout some philosophical, deep thoughts during the day. Tap into your inner “Chinese guy from the Karate Kid.” If you’re having a brain fart, simply quoting Lucas will suffice.
9) Play a game of Craps, or whatever you wish – Poker, Roulette, or scratch a lotto ticket. Take a chance with some money, preferably yours. You could try and use the bank deposit from your workplace, buuut you’ll probably end up in jail.
10) Last, and certainly never least – find a way to damn the man, and save the Empire.
That’s what I’ve got – if you have any other ideas, please feel free to share! Until then, always remember, “Play with their minds…”

No comments:
Post a Comment